10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman

10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman - Printable | A Virtuous Woman

The Proverbs 31 Woman Today

Here at A Virtuous Woman, I want to encourage women to serve God in every aspect of their lives. Being a Proverbs 31 woman is not about being “perfect.” It’s about living life with purpose, diligence, forgiveness, and repentance.

Often women believe that Proverbs 31 doesn’t really apply to our modern lives. Here at A Virtuous Woman, we believe that God’s Word stands the test of time. I wrote the 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman as the mission statement for A Virtuous Woman, but soon realized that it was more than a mission statement. The 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman demonstrates how, as Christian women today, we can all be Proverbs 31 Women.

The 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman

You can download the 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman here. Perfect to frame (8″ x 10″) or place in your Household Notebook.

1. Faith - A Virtuous Woman serves God with all of her heart, mind, and soul. She seeks His will for her life and follows His ways. (Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 31: 29 – 31, Matthew 22: 37, John 14: 15, Psalm 119: 15

2. Marriage – A Virtuous Woman respects her husband. She does him good all the days of her life. She is trustworthy and a helpmeet. (Proverbs 31: 11- 12, Proverbs 31: 23, Proverbs 31: 28, 1 Peter 3, Ephesians 5, Genesis2: 18)

3.  Mothering - A Virtuous Woman teaches her children the ways of her Father in heaven. She nurtures her children with the love of Christ, disciplines them with care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go. (Proverbs 31: 28, Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 22: 6, Deuteronomy 6, Luke 18: 16)

4. Health – A Virtuous Woman cares for her body. She prepares healthy food for her family. (Proverbs 31: 14 – 15, Proverbs 31: 17, 1 Corinthians 6: 19, Genesis 1: 29, Daniel 1, Leviticus 11)

5. Service - A Virtuous Woman serves her husband, her family, her friends, and her neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. She is charitable. (Proverbs 31: 12, Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20, 1 Corinthians 13: 13)

6. Finances - A Virtuous Woman seeks her husband’s approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. She is careful to purchase quality items which her family needs. (Proverbs 31: 14, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 18, 1 Timothy 6: 10, Ephesians 5: 23, Deuteronomy 14: 22, Numbers 18: 26)

7.  Industry – A Virtuous Woman works willingly with her hands. She sings praises to God and does not grumble while completing her tasks. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 24, Proverbs 31: 31, Philippians 2: 14)

8. Homemaking – A Virtuous Woman is a homemaker. She creates an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for her family and guests. She uses hospitality to minister to those around her. (Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20 – 22, Proverbs 31: 27, Titus 2: 5, 1 Peter 4: 9, Hebrews 13: 2)

9. Time - A Virtuous Woman uses her time wisely. She works diligently to complete her daily tasks. She does not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 19, Proverbs 31: 27, Ecclesiastes 3, Proverbs 16: 9, Philippians 4:8 )

10. Beauty – A Virtuous Woman is a woman of worth and beauty. She has the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. She uses her creativity and sense of style to create beauty in her life and the lives of her loved ones. (Proverbs 31: 10Proverbs 31: 21 – 22, Proverbs 31: 24 -25, Isaiah 61: 10, 1 Timothy 2: 9, 1 Peter 3: 1 – 6)

Download Your Free Printable

From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home

Tired of the chaos in your calm? Join me for our current series From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home and learn how to have peace in your heart and peace in your home. Download my free podcasts and devotions. Don’t let chaos steal your joy!

From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home | A Virtuous Woman

Here’s a couple images you can share on Pinterest or Facebook. I really appreciate your helping spread the word!
It's not about being "perfect"... It's about living life with purpose! 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman, plus a FREE PRINTABLE! @ AVirtuousWoman.org #proverbs31
The 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman {free printable} on A Virtuous Woman

Comments

1. 1

Amen its awesome to read other women believe like this and not go by what society thinks !!!!

2. 2

This is true!!!

3. 3

My Fiance and I have been having many relationship issues since we made the decision to spend the rest of our lives together. He is 53 and I am 50. This morning in my quiet time with the lord, his spirit spoke gently but firmly to me that I should not be looking at his character flaws but that I needed to look within myself……I needed to become a Proverbs 31 woman. So here I am……and I’m scared to death to be real honest because I am just not sure how to go about all of the things. Could some of my sisters in Christ come alonside me and give me the gentle direction I need? I would like to do a self-study on this….any recommendations?

• 4
      Nancy sires says:

First of all, you referred to your fiancée…I pray you aren’t just living together…
      I have learned the hard way. God looks at our hearts individually and as a married couple, individually and as a team. I am in the 19th year of a VERY difficult marriage, being unequally yoked. Read Proverbs 31. This is what God expects of us as wives. He will work in things in your heart to line up with the Word of God. He also looks at our spouse’s heart. What has always been my stumbling block is that although I have worked very diligently to have a clean heart and follow God’s instructions about respecting my husband, I felt God was not moving fast enough for me and tried to fix my husband’s selfish ways, hot temper, disrespect of mr, etc., etc. God is not on our time table and I find that I have actually hindered his growth. Only recently has he shown any desire to change. God has told me many times to take my hands off my husband so HE can work on him.

This is an extremely difficult cross to bear. I pray you ask God for specific guidance.

4. 7
    Linda mwangi says:

I want to be a proverbs 31woman to walk in Gods ways forever..my dear sisters pliz pray with me i need Gods touch in my life i need to hold my child in my arms i need His touch n grace in my life

5. 8
    Jamalia J. says:

This was a very insightful piece. I am married but did not realize the necessity of being a Proverbs 31 woman until after I was married; now I am playing catch-up in a sense. Pieces such as this one inspire, teach, and encourage me. Thank you for ministering to me!

6. 9

My non-believing husband has been preaching all this to me even though he does not know anything about Christianity. The sad part which in a way I should see it as awesome cause God has called to seek Him, my husband of ten years has left me and my 2 little ones again. Since we can’t hear anything from our spouses we do not follow through, we have to hear from someone else, this time if I had trusted Christ when we separated the first time and learned what a virtous woman is, I may not be where I am at. All I could do is pray for peace and wisdom and the holy spirit will enter us. I have to become this, but not for him, but for me and the eyes of the Lord. This has been rough, society makes it so hard… I was an independant woman, making money, had the car, had the condo, trying to be up to par with men. All it got me was a broken family. My Christian bestfriend and I joke, terrible to say but it is a joke , ” damn that woman that pressed for equal rights for women” Lol. Now we not only have to do the above but work full time and trying to fight for those manly jobs, and if we get, we will always get paid less :( ladies I urge to carry yourselves this way… We will always be women…

7. 10
    Elizabeth Sites says:

Hello .. your web site is wounderful.. I’am a mother of 9 wounderful childern. And It get’s hard at time’s and iI need a l ittle pick me up .. The right way.. thank you…

8. 11
    LaVerne says:

Thanks ladies, I was a wife of 20yrs. I can say the person I am today I would not have dated my ex. I hv dated, but now that my kids are grown and I have granddaughters I have been working on me. As I was reading 1 of my spiritual books it spoke of a Proverbs 31 woman I wanted to know what is a Proverbs 31 woman, that’s how I got to this website.
    As pastor T.D.Jakes put it….Balance is a difficult thing to attain, yet balance & prosperity go hand in hand.

31w woman is that. I Google it that’s how I got he

9. 12

I happen to come pass you site while I was searching definitions in the bible. You did a great job giving a break down of a virtuous woman. I plan to share this information with my fellow lady friends that would appreciate this info as well. Well may God Bless you and continue to give you the words to spread the word. :-)

10. 13

Thank you to all sisters. iam glad that most sisters want to become a virtuous woman , i also want to be a virtuous woman but i made a lot of mistakes in life, and iam facing a big challange pls help. I WANT TO BE A PROVERB 31 WOMAN. I need prayers and advice frm you. I have two kids from different fathers and now pregnant for a third one from a man who has two woman as wifes but they living in his country. iam with him in South Africa and his ready to marry me but i think i made a mistake by loving him and commiting adultry with him. please advice what should i do now. I need prayers and a word of advice that will lead me to become a virtuous woman . please respond to my email address. thank you

11. 14
    Danyelle says:

I was on google looking for inspirational words and came across this sight. I do plan to apply it to my life and pray that god will give me wisdom, knowlege and understanding. I’m married with 2 kids and praying that god will have his way in my life and my husband life and let us become connected to his word and live faithfully by it everyday.

12. 15

As my name may show I am a man. I am currently separated from my wife of 23 years, our children are hurting as am I, and it comes about because I was not living the life I should have been with my heart and soul devoted to christ. I did not cheat on her nor abuse her but at the same time I did not please her as she deserved. I am back before our lord now seeking his guidance and ever hopeful that she will see the change in me and open her heart. She befell a path similiar to one I read above in that she entered into the working world and once there she became angry that she was not treated the same, not paid the same but decided she was better off on her own than in a marriage to someone that did not provide her with the love she thought she deserved. Strange in looking back now that she believed this, we never argued, fought, she was the perfect wife in my eyes, always nurturing the children, ever attentive to my needs, but inside she longed for more. we have lost much in this world for many reasons and I believe a woman has a place above that which is spelled out here. A true man must also honor his wife and walk beside her and support her in attaining that which she needs.

Just my thoughts..

A man ever hopeful for his wifes love….

13. 16

I am in my 40s and married with 3 kids. My very close friend have a fellowship that is based on virtiuos women. She has touched a lot of life in Africa and is just starting in USA. We grew up together and lost contact after marriage. (lack of cell phones at the time). We recently reconnected and as we are cashing up lost times, she asked if I knew that I am a virtious woman? I have been living almost all the above mentioned qualities of a virtious woman without attention to proverb 31. I said almost because, after reconnecting with her, I realize am short of two. That is focusing on my husband’s 85% good qualities over his 15% inperfection without complain. (still working on it)The other one money management has been taking care of by life experience.
    Being a virtious woman starts with prayers and is very peaceful. Be in prayers especially for your husband and children.

14. 17

Roger, I am glad you are being hopeful, and goodluck. Your post has given me hope as well that one day my husband will see me walk the walk, and hopefully one day the Lord enlightens him, the way he has enlighten you to see your faults. We must pray for ourselves to continue in the path of our Lord. Today, after talking to my husband, and another disagreement, I had kind of an epiphany… Although I am in deep heartache after our encounter Reading Proverbs 31 and having faith I will become that woman brought me peace, because I am doing it for myself and if God wants him and I to be one again then he will come home.
    Ms, I will be praying for you tonight. You need to give yourself to Christ wholehearted, pray for peace and wisdom. He is giving you this 3rd child for a reason, stay close to him, trust in him. For I know the plans I have for you! Declares the Lord, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11. Put this all over the house in stickies. I have stickies everywhere in my home, car, work, books, bible, anywhere I bump into everyday to keep me focused. Good luck to all.

15. 18

Do they even exist? Because women like this seem extremely rare in today’s times.

16. 19

Thanks Melissa for sharing this. Breaking it down into points 1 -10 makes it easier to understand,apply and to do a self appraisal.God bless you Melissa.

Glory be to God for all women out there who are enjoying their marriage and living the virtuous woman life. For those having some hard time in their marriage, please dont be discouraged, have faith for with God all things are possible. Cheers

17. 20
    darshani says:

Hi I enjoy reading your page. It encourage me. To be a proverbs thirty one woman god richly bless you.

18. 21
    Charlotte says:

Thank you for listing the 10 attributes of a virtuous woman. I am beginning a new group (crafts, teaching, support) for ladies within our church and community. I am planning to use Proverbs 31 as our theme. I truly believe that a woman can be a virtuous woman without being a doormat. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband that I’ve had the privilege of sharing almost 30 years with along with four children who are now grown and beginning families of their own. Although many men see Proverbs 31 as a way to “control” their wife’s behavior and attitude, they fail to see that the Bible also gives specific mandates to men also–particularly in how to behave towards their wife! Ephesians 5 and 1 Peter 3:7 are very specific in saying a husband should have the same care for the comfort of his wife which he has for himself. A husband should see his wife as one with himself. As a man protects his own body from cold, hunger, sickness, and suffering so he should regard and treat his wife. A man is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. I have always loved the following poem:

Woman was created from the rib of man
    She was not made from his head to top him
    Nor from his feet, to be trampled on.
    She was made from his side, to be equal to him
    From under his arm to be protected by him
    From near his heart to be loved by him.
    ~author unknown~

That being said, the Bible also tells men in Proverbs 21:9 “It is better to live in a corner of a roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman.” God has blessed me with a wonderful husband that I’ve had the privilege of sharing 29 years with. Although our marriage has had ups and downs, we’ve survived the rough times and rejoiced in the good times together with the guidance of our Lord Jesus. As a young wife of 17 (especially during the rough times), I often referred to Proverbs 31 as an encouraging guideline of what I should be doing to bring about joy in my family. I continue to use Proverbs 31 as my inspiration. Let us all as virtuous women always strive to make our home and life a place of joy and comfort for the man God has given us to share our life with.

19. 23

Thank you, I was reading Proverbs 31 and wanted to put the words into an invitation for a special woman in my life and your website help tremendously. God Bless You!

20. 24
    Darrell says:

After 32 years of marriage I can only say how thankful I am to God for giving me such a wonderful wife. I have often read Proverbs 31 and tried to put my wife in those scriptures. It wasn’t until the storms came and the winds blew hard on our relationship that I realized how much of a virtuous woman I had in my home.

For the men that may be reading this please understand that beauty is only skin deep but ugly is to the bone, when beauty is gone, ugly holds its own.
    Your wife may not be able to compete with your secretary or the the nice young lady that thinks you’re all that and then some but your wife is the true beauty in all of this.

21. 25

Charlotte, your entry was magnificent.

Question for anyone.

So what happens if you are separated? Do I start and continue doing these things? He feels he needs to work on himself, whereas I feel I can work on myself and us because part of us is me. Had we know of Christian beliefs, Such as proverbs 31 and all else in scripture about marriage maybe I would have known better, and I say me because I did the opposite of all 10 virtues, in turn degrading, disrespecting, embarrassing him… Can’t even start. He now has no trust in me, without understanding I have Christ in my life today and forever.

• 26

Carmen, I know this must be a difficult time for you. All I can say is that if your husband refuses to work on your marriage together, then all you can do is work on yourself, pray for your husband, and give your burdens, worries, and fears to God. He knows exactly what you and your husband need right now. God bless you!

22. 27

Melissa, thank you! I know I must leave him alone. His truck route is my neighborhood, he comes home all the time. Most of his clothes is here. If i cook he eats. We are cordial and he is the main breadwinner and still pays all the bills, takes care of our financial affairs, the house…therefore, my question really is, do I continue to treat him virtuously?

• 28

Carmen, it sounds like he’s still invested in the life you have together… have you tried writing him a heart felt letter or even getting down on your knees and asking for forgiveness? Read 1 Peter 3. Your words have the power to convert your husband. If you know he’ll be home at a certain time why not trying to seduce him? It might open the door to better communication. I don’t know. You may have tried that already! Whatever you do, pray about it first. And don’t give up hope. If he’s a good man with a good heart, he’s worth the effort!

23. 29
    Dona Black says:

Melissa,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

24. 30

Thanks again Melissa, I am finally feeling Christ is truly there… I know it will be okay! I just love him unconditionally, but I know our Lord will give me strength to make it. I read 1 Peter 3, it’s perfect that is how I feel…but that’s not how I felt a couple of weeks ago. Once again thank you for your support!

25. 31
    Jared Onserio says:

I am a pastor from Kenya and work with a team many pastors and tomorrow Am having pastors’ wives meting. Thank you for this wonderful web. Please allow me to use this material to them. God bless.

26. 32

I am happy that today there is some one who is passionate about the gospel truth about how a woman per say is supposed to be; to reflect what the original plan of God was for her. thank you for such publishing….i pray many women get to read such literature. Being a virtuous woman is not instant but rather a lifestyle we do adopt with time. I encourage us ladies to start living out these say principles. Day by Day we will get there. Lets make our husbands proud…. We can make it; lets get started.

Shalom

27. 33
    Ingrid Segal says:

I wish I had this information before getting married. I wish I put Christ first in my life as a young woman. I wouldn’t have made the mistakes I made or suffered from the abuse of men. God would have protected me. All the answers on how to live are in the bible.
    Now I am middle aged and alone. I am too afraid to trust men.
    I am just praying that my two boys will walk the walk and find virtuous women and be kind to them.

28. 34

Melissa, this is a very inspiring post. I have been recently trying to become more like this and stumbling upon this inspired me to start blogging about my journey. Thank you for sharing and I hope that you would stop by and check it out. http://proverbs31madre.blogspot.com/
    Thank you again and may God Bless you and your readers.

29. 36
    Angelia Roux says:

amasing words

30. 37
    Godfrey Wade says:

I was looking up the word Virtuous and stumbled on your site; then after reading your readers comments it provoked me to comment, I’ve suffered a broken marriage after 20 years and our children of 4 has been tramatized a great deal over a selfish divorce on my exwifes part-what is sad is we both are Christians and believe in God n His son Jesus Christ…not strangley enough a God centered relationship suffers the if not worse the pains of one thats not God conscience- The devil hates anything that LOVES God and BOTH party has to be aware of that “tribulation we will have” the intangibles are just as important: FORTITUDE,PERSEVERANCE,STEADFASTNESS;and last but not least FERVENT PRAYERS. If you are having a lifes failure its a prayer FAILURE says a great man,
    Kenneth Copland. I only believe that one day my ex will see our mistakes and forgive herself so we can move into a better compatible place where the spirit of God rsides, for our children sake. Amen Selah

31. 38

This page is so encouraging. I have been married almost 3 years now and I have been having major martial problems. However I am trust God to change my heart. I have stopped pointing fingers at my husband and have decided to search within myself and see where I went wrong. I’m trusting God to work this out for us.

32. 40

What you have created is beautiful. I strive to have all 10! My husband strayed from our marriage many times, and put himself first. He was very gullible to temptation. The media makes it so very easy for them. I believe we have to be the strong ones when it calls for it and be ready to hand over the yoke when they are ready. I remind myself daily, it is God’s time, not my time. God has rewarded me with a husband who has renewed his faith and straps on his armor now daily, to resist temptation. He sees me now, as a treasure rather then looking past. So, yes! With God ALL things are possible, in His time. Just have and keep your FAITH. Let go and let God. I believe he led me to this wonderful site to remind me of my duties as well. To look forward and not back. To forgive frees me. I pray for my fellow sisters! Many thanks to you, Melissa, and what you have created.

33. 41
    bernice white says:

Melissa,as i search around to find scripture to read i came across your site,only the lord got me there,because i have no idea how i got there,but i’m glad i did. proverb is my favorite book to read.thank god for the (ten virtues woman of proverb 31).and also thank you for putting it out there. will share this site if the lord say the same.god bless you melissa,hoping that i don’t get off this site and cannot find it again.

34. 42

This is awesome, I am starting a group of reading and teaching women based on Titus and Proverbs is my theme to read and introduce today. God Bless.

35. 43

Hello… I have been in a relationship for three years off and on. I was confused and kept dragging my last relationship into my future. Therefore, my fiance is tired now and told me this week that he does not want to be with me. But the Lord put christian people in my life and I realized that the companion I have has been great to me. I ask the Lord to please allow me to view every with virtuous women.

36. 44

Hello everyone,

I’m in a whirlwind, life has divided my wife and I to the point I’m not sure we will make into 2013 together.

My wife says she gave up life, says she doesn’t know if she wants to be married or live life. I’m beyond heart broken, we haven’t divorced, and we haven’t filled for separation. I’ve prayed and fasted, and everything I can think of but she is like stone. She only responds to messages never steps first….

I’m lost if you all have advice or willing to pray for my wife and I greatly appreciate it. :(

37. 45

Hi Devon I’ve been married almost 4 years with two childern. Marriage is a convent that the devil fights to destroy and I can testify of this in my own marriage about stuff that my husband and I have gone through. But one thing is true that God is faithful and we must put ALL our trust in him that nor matter what storms come to battle against our marriages God is in control and HE will calm the storms. So NEVER give up TRUSTING in God for the rebuilding of your marriage cos the day u do give up it will be over.

I will always keep u and ur wife in prayer, and by the Grace of God ALL is well NOW!!!!

38. 46
    queen Chimariya Sajo says:

I came back from church today I felt a need for a change this season. And I thought of checking for the word ‘being a virtuous woman, so I came across your website. The write-up really inspired me these will build up my life. I’m single and I believe God placed the desire to live right and work according to Gods principles I will make it a point of duty to be a virtuous woman, because being a virtuous woman is not instant but rather a way of life. May God grant us the grace not only to be virtuous but to make it to heaven. God bless you mallisa and meet you @ the point of your needs. For those going through different marriage and life challenges may God reveal him self and work things out to his own glory. God bless you

39. 47

Hi! I’m soo happy and excited to have found your blog!! It is exactly what I need and what my heart has been longing for! To live my life with purpose! I just subscribed and I received the free downloads! Thanks soo much for that! I really wanted to print out the pdf version of the virtuous woman, but it’s asking me to sign up for an app? Am I supposed to sign in in order for me to be able to download the printable form!! I would love to frame it up!! I need this as an example of the kind of woman I want and need to be!! Please let me know what I need to do to get it! Thanks!!!

40. 49
    Mkpa, Godwin says:

This is very great. It is teachable and a helpful tips to the nations and to the entire world.