Summer 2012 Challenge: Organizing the Home

Photo Credit: Michael Faes

Summer is traditionally the time I organize my life for the coming year. Because I homeschool, summer is the time I plan our coming school year. This year, I am on a mission to reorganize my whole life!

Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans, right? That’s been the case for me for quite a while now. In our crazy hectic life, our schedule is constantly flowing, moving, changing. It drives me crazy. I like routine. I like each day to pretty much be the same. Unfortunately, life hasn’t cooperated over the last few years.

This year, I want consistency, even in the chaos. My home – down to the closets and drawers – needs a makeover. Life has been so hectic, I have found myself wallowing in the chaos to long! Something has to change and I want to get on with it. Now.

Have you ever felt that way? Do you think I can get my whole life organized in six weeks? Or at least be on my way back to a household that runs smoothly? I plan to try my best!

Over the coming four weeks life will go on as usual. We have lots of family birthday parties, three grandchildren coming from Michigan to spend the month, trips planned, homeschooling to plan, food to cook, laundry to catch up on…. You get the idea. But I really need to get my calm in the chaos back! So, despite all of my wonderful summer family plans, I plan to make organizing my life a top priority.

Are you looking for the calm in your chaos? Join me! June 18 – July 27, 2012

Challenge Week #1: Reorganize Household Notebook and File Crate Systems and Family Schedule

Challenge Week #2: Clean Out Kitchen Cupboards and Reorganize

4. Summer Challenge Update #2
  5. Get Organized: Take Two
  6. The File Crate System
  7. The Home School File Crate System
  8. Kitchen Cupboard Re-Organize
  9. More to Come!

Checkout my Six Weeks to Get Organized РSummer Challenge on Pinterest!

This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my disclosure policy here.

You’re the best!Pin on Pinterest9Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook10Share on Google+1Buffer this page

Melissa Ringstaff

Melissa Ringstaff is a pastor’s wife, serving with her husband in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains of Southeastern Kentucky. She is a homeschooling mother of five plus four and Grandarlin’ to 14 (so far) grandchildren. Melissa has been blogging at A Virtuous Woman since 2001. She has written several titles including Spring Cleaning for the Heart and Home, The Homemaker’s Journal: Keeping House, and Christmas ADVENTures in Prophecy.

Latest posts by Melissa Ringstaff (see all)

11 Comments on Summer 2012 Challenge: Organizing the Home

1. Holly
    June 11, 2012 at 10:54 am (2 years ago)

I am looking forward to this and will definitely be participating this year! Organization is a great thing!

2. Denise
    June 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm (2 years ago)

Looking forward to doing this

3. Anne
    June 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm (2 years ago)

Yes, I’m ready for the challenge. I’ve been trying to do the same thing for a week now. I get so enthused, get started and then get bogged down. I don’t know why. I sometimes feel as if I’m moving through thick mud just to get one thing down. My husband is being patient but he’s a neatnick minimalist who likes everything done yesterday. I also have 3 children at home and two are young. So count me in. It’ll be great to work with others on this project. This is challenge will be such a blessing to me and my family.

4. Elizabeth
    June 12, 2012 at 6:59 am (2 years ago)

Brew me some coffee so I can jump in, I need some energy and your words echo my life right now,,,,,,,,,,, the last couple years have been chaos and i need some calm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks for the focus on doing something!

5. tealady
    June 12, 2012 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

I’m in

6. Amazing Grace
    June 14, 2012 at 11:52 pm (2 years ago)

I am looking forward to joining this summer Organizing the Home Challenge. I participated in the previous Spring Cleaning for the Heart and Home Challenge. Melissa, you informed me that I was one of the winners and you asked me to forward you my details, and unfortunately until now, I have not yet received your reply.

• Melissa Ringstaff
      June 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm (2 years ago)

So sorry! I was out of town (at campmeeting) when you emailed me. I looked for it and found it and your gifts are on their way! God bless you!

7. tealady3
    June 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm (2 years ago)

Do I ever need this! I have been sick for the past 7 months and I really need to get my home in order.
    This should help me keep myself on track.
    And seeing that it starts right after Fathers Day,I am so in.

8. Connie
    June 18, 2012 at 5:38 am (2 years ago)

I really need this – what a great way to kickstart the summer!

9. Tonya Mitchell
    June 19, 2012 at 10:05 am (2 years ago)

I love this idea and I am going to give it a try because I have to try something to get my peace of mind back. So peace of mind, here I come!!!!

10. Mish
    June 22, 2012 at 6:37 am (2 years ago)

Oh, I found this Late! Although I had actually started working my way through the house, rather haphazardly–one mess got in the way of another, and another, and another. Then I pulled something in my back, so I’ve done nothing for a couple of days. *growl* But. I’m ready to go back at it anyway ’cause I’m tired of looking around at the mess. So I’m going to start working on the homeschool stuff again (which is where I left off) and I’ll get back into the rest as I can manage.