Sometimes life lets us down.
Things happen in your life that can take a toll, emotionally and physically. Being a Christian doesn’t mean that everything is sunshine and rainbows all the time; you still have to cope with change and the stressors of life. Being human comes with great trials but you have the hope of Jesus to get you through.
There have been numerous times in my life when I have struggled to pray for weeks or even months at a time. It’s not that I lost my faith, but I felt helpless, hopeless, and disconnected from Jesus. Sometimes praying doesn’t make us feel better right away. Sometimes it’s really hard to find words to express your heart to God. But whether we are angry with God, feeling desperate about a life circumstance, or feel like praising Him, God wants you to communicate with Him.
I want you to know that God is in your corner and you have him to lean on. He is listening and DOES hear your prayers.
5 Ways to Pray When You’re Struggling with Words
If you’re in a funk, prayer has gone stale for you or you’re simply emotionally worn; you can still talk to Him. Here are 5 Ways to Pray When You’re Struggling with the Words.
1. Music: I don’t know how many times I’ve heard a song on the radio and the lyrics speak to exactly what I’m feeling in the moment. Music can express just the right words in a way that we can’t. Turn up the volume; worship, sing and praise Him at home, in the car or wherever you are. It’s okay to get lost in the sound of worship music.
“I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding” 1 Corinthians 14:15 NIV
Some of my favorite songs for worship are:
2. Be Still: If you find yourself wrestling with emotions, instead of trying to figure out what to say and do, simply be still. Sit in silence and let your mind focus on God. It’s hard to hear him when surrounded by all the noise; He is your friend in silence. Breathe slowly, relax your body and try listening to His voice. Shift your focus and let him speak to your heart.
“Now then, stand still and see this great thing the LORD is about to do before your eyes.” 1 Samuel 12:16 NIV
3. Make a list: Whenever you’re having a tough time talking to God try making a list of everything you’re grateful for. This simple exercise can put into perspective how fortunate you are and open the door for you to express gratitude and thanks for all that God has provided in your life. A grateful heart is a cheerful heart.
“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV
Dowload my free Give Thanks Journaling Page at the bottom of this post.
4. Read Scripture: Recite the 23rd Psalm or the Lord’s Prayer, read the scripture out loud. Words are powerful and speaking them out loud is a surefire way to communicate with God. Let the scripture move you and bring you closer to Him.
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God’ Matthew 4:4 NIV
5. Take a Walk: Get outdoors and get moving. Exercise supports our physical health and wards off stress, anxiety and depression due to the release of chemicals in the brain – how awesome, God designed it that way! When all else fails, get out in nature. Nature is god’s beautiful creation. Through nature God is able to speak to us, guide us and provide for us. Take in his wonder and you’ll find yourself moving closer to Him. I try to get outside several times week and we usually visit parks two or more times a week to hike, walk, or just enjoy His creation.
“Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God’s wonders.” Job 37:14 NIV
Whatever you are experiencing in the moment know that God hears you. He is with you always and you’re never alone.
There is no right or wrong way to pray. Take time to just be with Him and open your mind to receiving Him. You might be surprised to find that in the silence is when you hear him the most.
Do you have any ideas to add to this list? Let me know in the comments below!
Free Printable Journaling Page
How to Download
Fill out the form below and get instant access to my free printable Give Thanks Journaling Page as well as my growing library of free printable resources!
Join A Virtuous Woman's community of over 15,000 women where you'll find freedom from perfection and the confidence to live your life with purpose and get Instant Access to my growing library of Free Printable Resources!