Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, these cookies are a fun way to celebrate and would also be perfect for you summertime backyard picnics.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter-softened at room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s dark cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups chili nut M&M’s
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add the sugars and butter. With an electric mixer, cream until light and fluffy. (Be sure the butter is at room temperature or the mixture will be lumpy).
4. Add the cream cheese and egg and mix on medium speed until well blended.
5. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
6. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt. Whisk to incorporate.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
8. Stir in the mini chocolate chips and chili nut M&Ms.
9. Form the cookie dough into 2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
10. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
Join the 5 Day Challenge
Homemaking is a ministry and whether you work outside the home or stay home full time, you are a homemaker!
I'm excited to share these ideas and more with you!