I’ve used natural remedies and alternative therapies to treat my family’s illnesses for a long time – close to 20 years now. There are certain herbs and essential oils that I always have on hand.
1. Cayenne. We make our own cayenne tincture – it’s so easy! Cayenne is a powerful herb that can stop severe bleeding/ hemorrhaging or even a heart attack. I’ve used cayenne tincture to help in cases of strep throat and pneumonia. Cayenne helps aid blood circulation, gets your heart beating faster, and helps you breath deeper when taken by mouth. Cayenne helps to reduce inflammation, stop bleeding ulcers, improve the immune system, and opens up the sinuses. When used in a salve, cayenne can help relieve pain in muscles and joints.
2. Garlic. Garlic is my #1 go to when we’re sick. Eating raw garlic cloves three times a day is what we prescribe when someone in our house is really sick with a chest cold or severe bronchitis. Garlic is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It’s amazing!
3. Activated Charcoal. This isn’t an herb per say, but I always have activated charcoal in my medicine cabinet. I buy activated charcoal in bulk powder form. Anytime someone has a stomach upset, the stomach flu, diarrhea, possible food poisoning I give them a spoonful in a glass of water to drink. Activated charcoal can also be used in instances of actual poisoning.
Please note: Activated Charcoal can absorb some medications, so please talk to your doctor if you are on any medications before using.
4. Peppermint Oil. This oil is great for settling an upset stomach or even opening a stuffy nose. You can use coconut oil as a carrier oil before rubbing the Peppermint Oil on the skin. I add Peppermint Oil to a digestive tonic tincture that my daughter Sarah takes for her Crohn’s Disease. It’s very strong and a little goes a long way!
5. Lavender Oil. This essential oil has a calming affect. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and breath in the scent when feeling anxious or stressed.
Herbs & Essential Oils
Essential Oils are something that I’ve just recently begun to collect and learn more about. That’s why I’m so excited about this brand new bundle from Ryan and Stephanie at Ultimate Bundles!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE about this collection of 20+ resources.
Homemaking is so much more than cleaning a house, cooking food, and making sure your family has clothes to wear. Homemaking is about nurturing a spirit of warmth, comfort, and love in your home.