We’ve already covered a lot of ground in this series! If you have not already I encourage you to read the first two parts to this series:
At the Second Coming, when Jesus returns to take his children home to heaven, he will remain in the air. He will not come down to the earth. The angels will gather God’s chosen people from around the world and catch them up in the air to meet Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 4:17 says, “After that, we that are still alive will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.”
Why is this so important for us to understand?
In Matthew 24:24 – 27, Jesus warned, “For false Christs and false prophets and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect – if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time. So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the desert,’ do not go out; or ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible in the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man.”
If anyone suddenly appears here on earth and claims to be Jesus Christ, you should know he is an imposter. Jesus says do not even go see, and do not believe! It isn’t safe to even look, lest you be deceived. Jesus will appear in the clouds, not on the earth!
It is important to stay away, not even look lest we be deceived. We need to remember:
- The devil appears as an angel of light. “For Satan himself masquerades as an agel of light.” 2 Corinthians 11:14
- The devil works miracles. “The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs, and wonders.” 2 Thessalonians 2:9
- The devil can call fire down from heaven. “And he performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men.” Revelation 13:13
- The devil can and will quote Scripture, twisting it to his benefit. “’If you are the Son of God,’ he said, ‘throw yourself down. For it is written: ‘He will command angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’” Matthew 4:6
- The devil is full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. “You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.” Ezekiel 28:12b
Satan wants us our worship. He wants us to be deceived so that when Jesus really does come, we aren’t prepared!
What will happen to the wicked at the Second Coming?
Revelation 6: 14 – 16 says, “The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place. The the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. They call to the mountains and the rocks, ‘Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb.’”
There will be no second chances. Don’t think that you can “wait until the last minute.” No one will get a second chance. The hour is at hand. You need to make a decision now. When Jesus returns to take his people home, it is too late.
2 Thessalonians2:10b-12 says, “They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.”
Revelation 22: 11 says, “Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy.”
The wicked will be destroyed at the “brightness of his coming” and the “spirit of his mouth.”
2 Thessalonians 2:8 says, “And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.”
No one knows the day or the hour when Jesus will return, but we can know it is near. Jesus tells us to watch for the signs. (Matthew 24, Luke 21)
And when he comes again, God’s people will be rewarded, “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.”
“Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.”