This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Heart Truth®. All opinions are 100% mine.
I want to live a long time. And even more than that, I want to live a good quality of life up until the day I die. Now, obviously, there are no guarantees, but there are a lot of things I can do now to help prevent disease. I’ve said it before, but if you don’t have your health, not much else matters.
I have four beautiful daughters. I’ve tried hard to teach them to live a healthy lifestyle so that when they leave home they will make good choices. And since heart disease is the #1 killer of women, as a mom of four girls, it’s really important to me that we all do what we can to prevent heart disease so we can live, love, and laugh together for many, many years to come.
In fact, did you know that according to the latest data available that in 2013 one in four women in the United States died of heart disease. And, eighty percent of women ages 40 to 60 have one or more risk factors for heart disease. Those are frightening statistics! The sad part is, much of this could be prevented!
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes
- Being overweight or obese (BMI of 25 or greater)
- Being physically inactive (less than 2.5 hours of physical activity per week)
- Having a family history of early heart disease
- Having a history of preeclampsia during pregnancy
- Unhealthy eating
- Age (55 or older for women)
Ways to Help Prevent Heart Disease
There are a lot of things you can do everyday to help insure your heart stays healthy. Some of my favorites are:
- Taking daily walks. My girls and I love to get out and take walks – especially with the dogs around our neighborhood and town. Sometimes we’ll drive to a neighborhood park and walk the track. It really just depends on our mood.
- Take regular hikes. Hiking is one of my all time favorite activities. I love everything about hiking – from the fresh air, the beautiful scenery, the way my muscles work hard.
- Eat heart healthy meals. We love to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. In the spring and summer I always have the girls help me cut up a big bowl of in season fruit and we’ll eat fruit salad just about every day. We also try to limit saturated and trans fats, salt, and added sugars. When we go to the grocery store we shop mostly the perimeter of the store – the produce section and health sections, bakery for fresh breads, and then we’ll swing over to aisle with beans and rice.
- Laughter. They say laughter is good medicine. I tend to agree. Our family laughs a lot – any chance we get. We love to play board games, watch silly YouTube videos, or crack jokes on a daily basis. Laughter helps reduces stress which in turn is good for your heart! It’s important to reduce the stress in your life and making time for joy and laughter really helps.
My goals for each day is to simply DO SOMETHING that will add good health to my life – whether it’s swimming in the summer, hiking on weekends, taking walks during the week, or practicing yoga poses on the floor with my girls. As long as we are all active every day, we’re moving in the right direction.
Share Heart Health with a Loved One
Like I said, as the mom of four girls, one of my responsibilities is to teach them now, while they still live under my roof how to care for their bodies well. Just like their arms, legs, and self-image – I want their hearts to be strong!
The Heart Truth® program’s goal is to raise awareness about heart disease and its risk factors for heart disease among women, and educate and motivate them to take action to prevent the disease and control their own personal risk.
At The Heart Truth‘s website you can learn more about preventing heart disease, the symptoms of a heart attack, and download brochures to share with those you love.
For more than a decade, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute’s (NHLBI) The Heart Truth program has worked to raise awareness about women’s risk for heart disease and the steps they need to make to lead a heart healthy life. That’s something we can all appreciate!
I want to invite you to check out their website for more information and share with me in the comments below how you are taking steps to insure heart health in your life – and how you encourage the women you love to take care of their hearts too!
Also, be sure to share your own advice #FromTheHeart and on their facebook page.
- Download this free printable sheet of Heart Healthy Coupons and give to someone you love today!
- Be sure to like The Heart Truth #FromTheHeart on Facebook!
Let me know in the comments below how you encourage the women in your life to live heart healthy!
Christmas ADVENTures in Prophecy
This set of 25 Scripture Cards is perfect for family worship in the morning or evening!
Free when you join my community of of over 16,000 women where you'll find freedom from perfection and the confidence to live your life with purpose.