Vegetarian Meatballs or Burgers
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein granules (see note below)
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 3/4 cup almost boiling water
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos OR soy sauce OR Dales’s Liquid Steak Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour OR whole spelt flour OR gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
1. Place the first eight ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and toss them together.
2. Pour the hot water into a small mixing bowl. Add ketchup and soy sauce, and stir until blended. Pour this liquid into the textured vegetable protein mixture, and stir until well combined. Let rest for 5 minutes.
3. Add the peanut butter and mix until it is well incorporated. Then stir in the whole wheat flour and nutritional yeast flakes (if using) and mix well.
4. Shape the mixture into 4 flat patties, about 4 inches in diameter, or into 1 inch, walnut sized, balls.
5. Fry patties or meatballs in a little oil until browned. If making meatballs, turn carefully in pan to brown the sides and maintain ball shape.
Note: Alternatively, you could bake the meatballs in the over. Arrange meatballs on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Note: I used gluten free soy granules made from soy flour.
These meatballs are delicious! I made Polynesian Meatballs over Rice… healthy, gluten free, vegan… Yum!