What child (or adult) doesn’t like a yummy Popsicle when it’s hot outside? Why not make some homemade Popsicles?
Homemade Popsicles are healthier than most store bought versions and if you’re creative, you can save a lot of money and maybe even use up some leftovers!
Here are a few frugal ideas:
- homemade yogurt (even yogurt that didn’t set up well), sweetened with jam
- leftover jello mixed with juice
- juice or syrup from canned fruit
- add food coloring for fun colors
- applesauce (may need to be thinned a little with water or soymilk)
- pudding – you could even add sprinkles
- fruit and/or shredded coconut – cover with fruit juice
- blended fruit smoothies
- stick a half banana and dip in chocolate
- fruit juice
Basic Popsicle Recipe
3 ounce package gelatin (Jell-O or store brand), any flavor
1 packet unsweetened, flavored drink mix (Kool-Aid)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup boiling water
Combine all in a 2 quart plastic pitcher. Stir until all is dissolved. Add enough cold water to make 2 quarts. Pour into small paper drinking cups and freeze until it starts thickening then insert a Popsicle stick and continue to freeze until hardened.
Here are a few more fun recipes to try:
- Strawberry Yogurt Popsicle
- 32 Homemade Popsicle Recipes
- 6 Icy Pop Recipes
- Maraschino Lemonade Popsicle
- Strawberry Orange Juice Pops
Tip: Apparently, adding jello to your juice Popsicles keeps the Popsicles from being too crunchy and dripping everywhere.
Last year, I found a really cute Popsicle mold at the Dollar Tree. Unfortunately, the stick part of the mold didn’t stick to the inside of the Popsicle, so that when you went to pull the Popsicle out of the mold, only the stick came out. So much for being frugal and only spending a dollar!
Here are some fun Popsicle molds:
Free Holiday Planner
Join A Virtuous Woman's community of over 14,000 women where you'll find freedom from perfection and the confidence to live your life with purpose. Subscribe and get my FREE HOLIDAY PLANNER with 120 pages & 8 Week Plan to keep you organized this holiday season!