From Chaos to Calm: Day Thirty-Two
The Sabbath Day
Scripture Memory: “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.” Exodus 20:8-11
Today, I want you to reflect again on what God’s holy day means to you. Is it just another day for catching up on chores or do you set aside that time solely for worshiping your Creator?
The Sabbath is not just a day for holy convocation. (1) It is a real 24 hour period in which we are called to put aside worldly cares and spend time with God. The fourth commandment begins saying, “Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy.”
The fourth commandment in all its beauty is still relevant today! One of the most famous evangelists of all time, D.L. Moody said:
“The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word ‘remember,’ showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote the law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?” (2)
By not setting aside the Sabbath as holy, we as Christians lose a tremendous blessing! There are many ways to keep the Sabbath holy and still enjoy the day. The Sabbath is a perfect day to enjoy being with your family while at the same time helping your children to learn more about God.
Some of our favorite activities for Sabbath include:
- Afternoon walks
- Going door to door witnessing
- Visiting a park to enjoy God’s creation
- Playing games such as Bibleopoly or Bible Trivia
- Have a picnic and feed the ducks
The Sabbath should bring you joy! Make a list of things you would like to do with your family this Sabbath.
“If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” Isaiah 58:13-14
1. Leviticus 23:3 tells us: “Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.”
2. D.L. MOODY, Weighed and Wanting, page 47.
Click to Listen
Press play to listen or click here.
- The Preparation Day
- The Preparation Day: Part Two
- A Sabbath Day’s Rest
- Jesus and the Sabbath
- What is Heaven Like?
- My Sabbath Activity Bag
Are you on Pinterest? I love, love, love Pinterest. Would you follow me on Pinterest? Here are some of my favorite boards I want to share with you:
So, have you been inspired to make the Sabbath a delight?
Free Printable 100 Ways for Making the Sabbath a Delight
How to Download
- Click here to download without subscribing.
- When you fill out the form below, you’ll receive an email giving you access to my entire subscriber exclusive resource library where you’ll find this and many more resources for your home and family!
- You’ll find this Weekly Menu Planner in the At Home section of the library.
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables