Being able to maintain a relatively neat household is important – especially when life is hard. Homemaking isn’t easy when life is going well. It can be downright difficult when life is hard. Today I’m sharing with you five ways to pare down your housekeeping routines when life is hard.
There are times when life is just really hard. Keeping up with housekeeping routines when life is hard can be a real challenge. For example:
Perhaps you or another family member has been diagnosed with a serious illness and your time is now heavily devoted to treatment and care. You need grace during this time.
Maybe you’ve just had a new baby. Newborns require so much time and attention and that’s the way it should be! Don’t feel bad about spending most of your time hold, nursing, or caring for your newborn. You’re also likely to feel very tired the first few weeks after your baby is born.
Or maybe you have a special needs child. The demands of special needs children can be overwhelming. You need to give yourself grace.
Paring down your housekeeping routines when life is hard can really help you maintain your home while giving yourself grace.
If the situation you’re facing is particularly difficult, it’s a good idea to ask for help. Think about who in your life would be willing to help you with basic housekeeping routines.
- church members
- hired help
When life is hard, having a messy house can feel overwhelming like your drowning. You may even feel like you’ll never be able to catch up, much less keep up.
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
Housekeeping Routines when Life is Hard
1. Pare down your routines. Do only those tasks that are absolutely essential.
- Keep the kitchen clean.
- Clean the bathrooms.
- Dust, sweep, and vacuum only essential rooms: those rooms where people spend most of their time.
- Do laundry as needed.
2. Be as neat as possible.
Put things away and clean as you go. Use the one minute rule and teach it to everyone in the household.
3. Prepare foods that are simple and require little to no cooking.
- Use freezer meals when possible.
- Take advantage of prepared meals.
- Get takeout.
4. Hire help.
If you can afford to hire help, it’s certainly worth the cost when life is particularly hard. Housekeeping routines can be challenging to keep on top of when life is hard.
You can hire a bonded maid to come in once a week or once every two weeks and do your weekly cleaning.
5. Try to create less laundry.
- Hang towels up to dry and reuse.
- Re-wear clothes that are still clean.
- Rinse out washcloths and hang to dry.
If you are struggling with keeping up with the laundry, you can hire a maid to come and wash all of your laundry once a week.
Paring down your housekeeping routines when life is hard can be extremely helpful when you are in a season of difficulty.
And most of all, remember, give yourself grace. Sometimes life is just hard. I want you to find freedom from perfection. You can live with purpose even during a season of hard.
Action Steps to Take Today
- Pray and ask God to show you how you can make your housekeeping routines easier during your difficult season.
- Think about doing just the basics. What absolutely must be done each day, each week? Write them down.
- Consider which housekeeping routines and tasks you can get help with. Is hiring someone in your budget? If not, ask friends and family for help.
- Download my free printable Quick Cleaning Checklist for those days when you have time to do a little extra.
- Remember, you are not more worthy of love if your house is immaculate. God loves you with an everlasting love and He sees you.
Free Printable Quick Cleaning Checklist | Cleaning Flowchart
How to Download
- Click here to download without subscribing.
- When you fill out the form below, you’ll receive an email giving you access to my entire subscriber exclusive resource library where you’ll find this and many more resources for your home and family!
- You’ll find this Quick Cleaning Checklist in the At Home section of the library.
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables
Join A Virtuous Woman's community of over 21,000 women where you'll find freedom from perfection and the confidence to live your life with purpose and get Instant Access to my growing library of Free Printable Resources!