As a Proverbs 31 homemaker, making good, sound decisions is a very important skill to possess. Homemakers make so many decisions each and every day! And often those decisions impact the family life in big ways. Today I’m sharing 5 key steps to making God-honoring decisions.
She is Discerning
She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. (Proverbs 31:16)
In verse 16, we see that the Proverbs 31 woman was discerning in her purchases. She was careful in her decision making. Not only was she careful and smart, but she was also willing to follow through on those decisions with hard work.
You may be thinking, “I’m not good at making decisions!”
I have some good news for you: you can learn! God never calls us to something He doesn’t equip us to do.
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence… (2 Peter 1:3, ESV)
What does it mean to be discerning?
Discerning simply means having or showing good judgement. These synonyms might help you understand this concept even better: discriminating, perceptive, insightful, clever, and wise. The word wise really stands out to me because the Bible is full of instruction about wisdom.
5 Key Steps to Making God Honoring Decisions
Step #1: Pray & Trust God to Answer Your Prayers
The foundation for making wise choices is listening to God’s voice. Pray about the big decisions—and even the not so big ones—before making them.
Discernment begins with prayer because we need to see life through His eyes—His priorities for us.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5
However, there’s more to it than saying a prayer before we make a decision. We have to trust… trust that He will guide us and trust whatever He leads us to do.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5–6
Step #2: Take Time to Consider Your Options
When we consider something we think carefully about it… and that takes time. Whether you are making a decision or deciding what to purchase, don’t rush the process.
Ask yourself these questions:
When it comes to making a decision—
- What are the advantages to __________? (Joining something, taking a class, making a big change like moving, etc.) What are the disadvantages?
- Does this fit opportunity come with a financial commitment? If so, is it within our budget? If not, is it worth saving for?
- How does this opportunity either help or hinder our family when it comes to living out our callings?
When it comes to making a purchase—
- Am I being pressured to buy something right now? Are phrases like “limited time offer” making me feel fearful that I’ll miss out if I don’t act immediately?
- Does this fit within our budget? Is there something similar, but less expensive that would work?
- How will this purchase help me in my calling to love God, serve my family, and minister to others? How will it keep me from doing those things?
- Will it be worth the time and energy it takes to maintain?
- Do we have room for this thing?
- Will I still want it if I wait?
Marketing is everywhere. Sometimes it comes in subtle forms and at other times it screams in your face. A discerning woman understands that making purchases should not come from a place of fear, but from careful consideration.
Step #3: Educate Yourself
Do your research! With online resources, this is easier than ever. You can find everything from reviews of products to information on how to feed your family healthy meals for less.
- Amazon has reviews on almost everything you could purchase, even if you don’t buy the product through them. Be careful to pay attention to both the negative and positive reviews, and notice who is writing the review.
- Consumer Reports requires a subscription-type membership but may be worth it when it comes to researching a big purchase.
- Good Cheap Eats is more than a website full of delicious recipes. It’s about saving money while feeding your family well.
Another great resource: friends and family! They are often happy to share their experiences with buying different services and products.
Step #4: Consult Wise People for Advice
Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. Proverbs 11:14
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. Proverbs 12:15
Notice the word wise. You can find advice everywhere, including social media and the person you meet at the grocery store. Not everyone’s advice shouldn’t have the same weight. Ask yourself the following when looking for someone to give you advice:
- Do they love God and follow Him? Are they serious about their faith?
- What experience does this person have in this area?
- Why can I trust him or her?
- Do they “practice what they preach”? For example, if I’m seeking advice on the best way to feed my family on a budget, do I want to listen to the person who goes out to eat all the time?
Step #5: Remember God has a Plan for Your Life
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11–13
Whatever decisions you make, know that God has a plan for your life. You may make some wrong decisions along the way, but God can use those to continue to shape and mature you.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Romans 8:28–29
Look to the truths revealed in these Scriptures:
- His plans include giving you a future and a hope.
- When you call on Him and go before Him and pray, He hears you.
- You will find Him when you seek Him with all your heart.
- He works all things together for your good.
- He is conforming you to the image of His Son.
In the first step, we prayed about making God honoring decisions and chose to trust him. You can trust Him because He is a good God and desires both your good and His glory.
Action Steps to Take Today
- When making decisions – big or small – always begin with prayer. Ask God to help you be discerning in your decision-making. He will give you wisdom!
- If you have a big decision to make, take your time, educate yourself, and ask someone you trust for advice.
- Trust God to answer your prayer regarding the decisions you make. Let Him lead you in the direction you should go – whether the answer is yes or no… or wait.
Free Printable Decision Making Worksheets
How to Download
- Just fill out the form below and you’ll receive an email giving you instant access to my free printable decision-making worksheets.
- If you are already a subscriber, filling out the form won’t affect your subscription, but you will receive the link to download!
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables