If you’ve ever read the passage of Proverbs 31 and felt discouraged as you looked at yourself through the lens of the Proverbs 31 woman… you aren’t alone. It’s a common feeling!
The good news is that Proverbs 31 isn’t about being perfect. It’s really about living your life with purpose! Be sure to grab my free printable Bible Study Guide at the end of this post!
Let me show you how you can apply the scriptures of Proverbs 31 to your life today. Below you’ll find all of the articles on A Virtuous Woman about the Proverbs 31 woman.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me at: [email protected] I love hearing from my readers.
First, let’s read the verses in the chapter of Proverbs 31 that specifically talk about the Proverbs 31 woman. Or feel free to listen to the passage using the audio player below.
You can listen to Proverbs 31 ESV and the Bible’s description of the Proverbs 31 woman on the audio player below.
The Woman Who Fears the Lord
Proverbs 31:10-31 ESV
10 An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
15 She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She dresses herself[e] with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.[f]
22 She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
Proverb 31 is the 31st chapter of the Book of Proverbs in the Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. It is presented as advice which Lemuel’s mother gave to him, about how a just king should reign, and in the second part detailing the attributes of a good wife or ideal woman. from: Wikipedia
Wikipedia describes the Proverbs 31 woman as a “good wife” or “ideal woman.” But suggesting that the proverbs woman is the “ideal woman” only serves to make the characteristics of the Proverbs 31 woman are unattainable. But this simply isn’t true!
You can be your unique and special self and still be like the virtuous woman found in the Bible.
What are the 10 virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman?
The passage of Proverbs 31 fully embraces every aspect of a woman’s life. When you look at the verses and discover the modern application, you’ll see how relevant these verses are to your life today.
You see, we’ve all fallen short of the glory of God. We are all sinners. Proverbs 31 isn’t a checklist of perfection that’s impossible for you to check off. Instead, it shows us how we can live each day as women of God, in our own unique ways with purpose for Him.
What is He asking of you today?
- Perhaps you are to be a shining light at your place of employment – do your coworkers see Christ in you? The Proverbs 31 woman is a living example of what it means to live out Christ in your everyday.
- Perhaps this evening you are to prepare a simple and nourishing meal your family will enjoy.
- After supper you may direct your older children to wash the dishes and wipe down the counters while you bathe the younger children and start a load of laundry.
- The Proverbs 31 woman serves her family with a cheerful and kind demeanor.
Whatever you find your hands doing, remember that all tasks should be done as unto the Lord!
- Faith. She loves Jesus with all of her heart. This is the foundation for all of her good works.
- Marriage. She is a faithful bride. She loves her husband and she is the bride of Christ.
- Mothering. She is a loving mother and her children call her blessed. She is attentive, kind, and respectful to her kids.
- Health. She takes care of her physical, mental, and spiritual health. She understands how important it is to take care of her self and her family’s health.
- Service. She serves others with love and kindness. She knows how to set boundaries and when to help with the needs of others.
- Stewardship. She is a wise steward of the gifts God has given her. She doesn’t take for granted the many blessings in her life.
- Industry. She is industrious and works with willing hands. She doesn’t groan and complain when it’s time to complete her tasks.
- Homemaking. She is a good manager of her home. She understands that homemaking is a ministry to her family that extends into the community.
- Time. She spends her time on that which is good. She guards her heart and mind.
- Beauty. She is creative and embraces beauty and godliness. She dresses appropriately and creates a lovely and warm environment in her home.
My favorite article on A Virtuous Woman about the Proverbs 31 woman is: Praying Through Proverbs 31: A Proverbs 31 Prayer. I believe it’ll forever change the way you see the Proverbs 31 woman!
The Proverbs 31 Woman
The passage of Proverbs 31 is incredibly deep. Not only does it serve as an inspirational look at the beauty of womanhood, it’s also a prophecy of God’s church, the bride of Christ.
- The 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman
- All About the Proverbs 31 Woman | Questions Answered
- Praying through Proverbs 31
- A Simple Guide to the Proverbs 31 Woman Explained for Modern Women
- Bible Study Methods for the Proverbs 31 Woman
- How to Become a Proverbs 31 Woman
- The 10 characteristics of the Proverbs 31 Woman
- 10 Truths about the Proverbs 31 Woman You Should Know
- 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman eBook
- But the Proverbs 31 Woman had Maid Servants!
- Proverbs 31 Bible Reading Plan
- The Proverbs 31 Woman Free Printable Resource Library
- 21 Day Proverbs 31 Prayer Challenge
- Bible Reading Plans for the Proverbs 31 Woman
- 3 Ways to Guard Your Heart
- Free Printable Proverbs 31 Prayer Journal
- Faith Based Mother’s Day Gift Guide
Proverbs 31 Bible Study
My Proverbs 31 Bible study demonstrates the gospel found in Proverbs 31. As I add to this series you’ll find the newest Proverbs 31 Bible studies right here.
- The Gospel Found in Proverbs 31
- A Proverbs 31 Bible Study | The Bride of Christ
- A Proverbs 31 Bible Study | A Faithful Wife
Study the Proverbs 31 Woman
- Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary on Proverbs 31
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Commentary on Proverbs 31
- The King James Version of Proverbs 31
Proverbs 31 Devotions
- How to Build a Home (Joshua 24:15)
- Called to Do Great Things (Esther 4)
- Practicing Gratitude (Psalm 9:1)
Learn More about Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman
- The Proverbs 31 Woman | Abundant Living
- The Proverbs 31 Woman | Homemaking
- The Proverbs 31 Woman | Family Life
Action Steps You Can Take Today
- Pray and ask God to show you what it truly means to be a Proverbs 31 woman today.
- Read the articles listed about to gain more insight into how you can apply the 10 virtues and become a modern Proverbs 31 woman.
- Grab my free printable Proverbs 31 Study Guide below and look up the listed verses in your own Bible. What is God showing you?
Proverbs 31 Infographic
Feel free to share this infographic of the 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman.
Free printable: To print this info graphic, you can get the .pdf version here.
Note: Please remember that the 10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman were developed and written by Melissa Ringstaff and the copyright belongs to A VirtuousWoman.org. Please don’t share without proper credit. Thank you!
Proverbs 31 Free Printable Bible Study Guide | PDF
You can use this printable two page pdf as a Bible study guide to learn more about the virtuous woman and how you become a Proverbs 31 Woman today.
- Just fill out the form below and you’ll receive an email with the link to your free printable guide to becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman. You’ll also receive helpful emails and updates from me on a regular basis!
- Or, you can purchase this printable Proverbs 31 Bible Study Guide here for just $2.97. Women’s ministries groups can use this printable when you purchase a copy along with the group license.
- If you are already a subscriber, you can still fill out the form below to get the printable – it won’t affect your subscription!