Winter is one of the best times of the year to reconnect as a family. Who doesn’t love all the warm baked goods, sweater weather, and gorgeous snow falls? It’s one of my favorite parts of the year. Today I’m sharing a big winter bucket list for families that will get you thinking about way to make memories this year.
Winter can get to be pretty busy with new schedules and the lead up to the holiday season. But then January comes and you have to figure out your “normal” schedule all over again. Ask me how I know!
The winter season just brings about such a strong emphasis on family and community togetherness. I love the feeling of coming together as a group and enjoying comfort foods and weather. Use that feeling as an opportunity to bond with those you’re closest to and celebrate the season!
Most of these ideas can serve as opportunities for teachable moments with your kids. Where you can have broader conversations about the meaning behind the activity and introduce new ideas or concepts to your children.
I like to select activities that highlight my children’s interests but also help them when they’re in need of further development. If your kid is a sports lover take them to a hockey or basketball game but also encourage them to try new activities they may not have experienced before like an art class or attending a musical performance.
The Big Winter Bucket List for Families
Here are a few of my favorite activities for the winter season and a few ideas for family centered competitions, parties, and events you can attend or throw yourself as an opportunity to bring your community together.
Explore The Great Outdoors
- Collect pine cones and make them into a door wreath
- Sled down the biggest hill you can find
- Going ice skating under lights
- Have a snowball fight in the front yard
- Learn to ski or snowboard at your local mountain
- Take a walk after the first big snowstorm
- Feed the birds in your yard with a homemade feeder
- Take a hike and look for animal prints
- Catch a snowflake on your tongue
- Make a snow angel in fresh powder
- Write down goals for the new year
- Enter a competition in an area where you struggle
- Visit a local museum to learn something new
- Pick up a new hobby
- Splash around in an indoor pool
- Challenge yourself at the bowling alley
- Start a journal
- Try doing something creative
- Create a vision board
- Visit your local library
- Sign up to host an event with your kids
- Donate clothes and toys that aren’t being used
- Buy a snack for a stranger
- Tip the total bill for a server
- Declutter and donate your old but gently used items to charity
- Volunteer at a local nonprofit with similar values
- Create a fundraiser for your favorite nonprofit
- As a family, make a meal for a neighbor
- Start a winter carnival in your neighborhood
- Attend an artistic performance in your community
- Put together bags of winter gloves, scarves, and hats to give to the homeless
Have more fun
- Get a manicure and pedicure at a pretty spa
- Have lunch with an old friend
- Try a new activity you’ve never done
- Go out on a special fancy date day
- Explore a new city you haven’t experienced
- Buy new winter outfits and accessories
- Attend a trivia night and try to dominate your competition
- Badly sign Karaoke at the top of your lungs
- Plan a mini staycation in your own city
- Take a fun class you haven’t tried before
- Collect all your loose change and splurge on something special
- Drink homemade cocoa with marshmallows
- Call grandma or grandpa
- Spend an hour finding the funniest YouTube videos
- Get really dressed up for no reason
- Drink lots of water
- Read a new book
- Use peel off face masks
- Spend a full day sleeping and cuddling
- Take a digital detox for a full weekend
- Family movie marathon night
- Try a new restaurant
- Toast smores over an indoor fire
- Build a massive blanket fort in your living room
- Start planning your family vacation
- Learn a new card game or board game
- Stargaze on a clear night
- Host a giant family dinner party
- Make homemade cards and mail them to a loved one
- Bake a sweet treat as a family
Creating memories all year round is something you’ll never regret. Kids grow up so fast! Ask me how I know!! There’s nothing I love more than spending time with my family. Use this season to make ordinary moments really special. Your children won’t forget the time you took to make them feel loved and valued.
Free Printable Big Winter Bucket List for Families: 60 Ideas
How to Download
- Just fill out the form below. You’ll receive an email with the link to download.
- If you are already a subscriber, that’s okay, just go ahead and fill out the form below. It won’t change your subscription, but you will still receive the download!
What’s your favorite winter activity to do as a family? Let me know in the comments below!