I remember how exciting it was to buy those first few items for my new baby while I was pregnant. Oh the joy!
When shopping for your new baby to be, it can be hard to resist all the precious items stores have to offer expecting parents. Tiny outfits and booties, sweet little bonnets and caps, rattles galore, and bibs, pajamas, and blankets make it hard not to bring home more than you need.
Keep in mind that you will be receiving presents from family and friends and baby showers. You may also have friends or recitatives who are planning to give you hand-me downs. As the date nears for the arrival of your newborn, take stock of what you have and then shop wisely. Realize that your baby won’t be able to wear too many outfits before he or she outgrows them. Believe me, I’ve been there!
- 4 to 7 nightgowns with elastic bottoms
- 3 to 8 undershirts with snap bottoms
- 3 or 4 blanket sleepers for a fall or winter baby
- 3 or 4 lightweight sleepers for a spring or summer baby
- 3 or 4 pairs of socks
- 1 or 2 pairs of booties
- 3 or 4 soft terry drool bibs
- 1 or 2 sweaters for cool days
- 1 heavy sweater or coat for winter
- 1 or 2 lightweight hats with brim for sun protection
- 1 heavyweight cap that covers the ears for winter
- 1 pair soft mittens for protecting baby from scratching hiself
- 1 pair heavy mittens for winter baby
- 3 or 4 fitted crib sheets for crib, bassinet, or cradle
- 3 or 4 lightweight blankets for warmer weather
- 3 or 4 heavy blankets for cooler weather
- 1 or 2 waterproof mattress pads
- 5 or 6 waterproof pads for changing diapers
- 5 or 6 soft washcloths
- 1 or 2 soft terry towles
- 1 dozen burp cloths or cloth diapers
- Several dozen disposable diapers if you are planning to use them
- 3 to 4 dozen cloth diapers: prefold, fitted, or all-in-ones
- 8 to 10 covers: vinyl pants, fleece pull-ons, wool covers, or wraps
- 1 to 2 dozen fleece stay dry liners
- 1 dozen doublers for nighttime or heavy wetters
- 4 to 6 pairs of diaper pins
- 2 dozen soft terry or flannel wash cloths to use as wipes
- Diaper Pail with Lock
Join A Virtuous Woman's community of over 21,000 women where you'll find freedom from perfection and the confidence to live your life with purpose and get Instant Access to my growing library of Free Printable Resources!