Welcome to Day 16 of our series, From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home. Today we’re talking about making your health a priority.
From Chaos to Calm: Day Sixteen
Walking with God
Scripture Memory: “That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.” 1 Thessalonians 2:12
Download the .pdf version of this article.
Almost every morning, around 7 a.m., you can find me walking around our mountain road. I set out early, while the town is still quiet, while the fog is still heavy, and while the air is still cool. I love these quiet morning walks. It starts my day off right. I am able, in the peace and quiet, to think about my day and lift up my cares to the Lord. I am able to breathe in deeply and determine to be cheerful and full of energy when I walk through the doors of my home.
I walk about 1 mile each morning. By walking briskly, I have found that extra pounds are shed away – and stay away! My cholesterol dropped dramatically when I first began walking. Walking is one easy way that we as women can stay physically fit.
I want to encourage you to begin a fitness routine. It may be hard to first get motivated, but once you realize how much better you feel, you will want to keep at it. You might want to find another woman in your neighborhood who would like to walk in the mornings (or evenings) with you. I prefer the mornings because I like the brisk mountain air where I live. You may enjoy a different time of the day, but the important thing is that you make a commitment to yourself and do it at least 4 times a week.
Losing weight, staying in shape, and having a healthy heart will lead to less stress, you will feel better and you will be better able to care for your family. When you exercise each week, your blood pressure lessens and your mood is elevated – always a good thing for a busy mom!
Bonus: By demonstrating a healthy way of life to your children you will be instilling in them a life long love of healthy practices.
Just as it is important to keep our bodies fit and healthy, it is important to keep our hearts healthy as well. Our memory verse for today tells us that we should “walk” or live our lives in a way that is worthy of the Lord.
We can all look at our own lives and find room for improvement. Perhaps your personal struggle is with entertainment or discontentment or bitterness. Maybe you have a bad habit of telling “little” lies. Perhaps you have been in control of your household and need to step back to let your husband lead.
Whatever the issues you have in your life, Christ wants us to strive for a better way – a higher standard. Do not allow yourself to stagnate where you are – continue to grow and allow the Holy Spirit to work in you.
So, I want you to do your best to add walking or your favorite exercise method to your routine at least 4 times a week – 6 is even better. Use your walking time to pray, plan, and find peace. Think about your upcoming day and plan to work on small goals to live a life worthy of your Master.
Doing this one day at a time – you will begin to see the benefits physically and spiritually!
Click to Listen:
Press play to listen or click here.
From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home is a daily devotion – Monday through Friday for 15 Weeks by Melissa Ringstaff. The Audio Podcast gives you extra ideas to go along with the email series or e-book.
- Do you have an exercise routine?
- What motivates you to stay fit?
- Or, what would motivate you to get started?
- What do you struggle with?
Action Steps to Take Today
- As always, begin with prayer. Ask God to help you find the motivation you need to live a healthier life.
- If you aren’t ready to commit to an exercise routine, walking is a great way to get started. Enlist your husband or kids to join you if you’d like.
- Choose the best time of day for you to take a walk or exercise.
- Make a commitment to yourself to begin making your health a priority.
Free Printable 30 Day Habit Tracker
How to Get the Printable
- Just fill out the form below and you’ll receive an email giving you instant access to this free printable.
- If you are already a subscriber, filling out the form won’t affect your subscription, but you will receive the link to get the printable!
- If you’re a member of the Homemaker’s Circle, this printable can be found inside of the membership! If not, you can join today for as little as $1.00 a week and get instant access to over $500 worth of digital products and homemaking classes including The Disciplined Homemaker and A Time to Clean!
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables