Welcome to Day 15 of our series, From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home. Today we’re talking about five ways you can become more emotionally connected to your husband.
From Chaos to Calm: Day Fifteen
Scripture Memory: “My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies.” Song of Songs 2:16
After a while, married life can get in the way of your love life! If you’ve never really read the book, Song of Songs, in the Bible, you really should! God created romance and passion. Marriage is supposed to be physically and emotionally satisfying.
As a Godly wife, you should spend time each day focusing your thoughts and efforts on your husband. Get your heart ready to receive his love in the evenings or whenever you are together. Show him your love – not just with your words, but with your actions. Be his best friend.
I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “Actions speak louder than words.” This is certainly true when it comes to your husband. If you tell him you love him but then never accept his advances or initiate intimacy, he’ll wonder what’s wrong. If you say you love him but treat him with disrespect or disregard, he’ll feel unloved.
Focus your heart toward him. Think of those special moments you and your husband have shared together in the past. Just thinking about your love and all the reasons why you love him will help you feel more like connecting with him when you are together.
#1 Read and pray together. A fun way to build intimacy together would be to read one chapter of the Song of Songs each night before going to bed. Set up a promise of love and commitment each night and pray together.
If you feel uncomfortable praying out loud with your husband, which isn’t unusual, practice praying out loud when you have your morning devotions. By praying together you will be less likely to experience the sorrow of divorce, adultery, or other trauma in your marriage. Set the tone for your relationship. Problems don’t always go away immediately, but by changing your own attitude toward your husband, you will see a difference.
#2 Talk to each other – and really listen. Communication is key to any healthy relationship. Marriage is no different! Talk about what you like about each other, how you like to be touched, what things you would like to do together, your dreams, and common goals. Look forward to your future together.
#3 Be emotionally vulnerable. It can be difficult to break down our own personal walls. You can’t force anyone else to be vulnerable, but you can be emotionally vulnerable yourself. Brene Brown said, “Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and creativity.”
#4 Compliment your husband daily. Saying nice words is so important! You need to be making it a priority to find things to praise your husband about. This can be as simple as saying, “I love you so very much.” or “I really appreciate all the effort you put into this.”
#5 Make sex a priority. Sex is about so much more than just physical intimacy. True intimacy is really about sharing your heart and body with your husband – things you don’t share with anyone else.
Sheila Wray Gregorie said, “We’re naked together, which is intimate. In order to relax and really let go and feel good, we have to become vulnerable. We have to tell him what we like, and we have to literally and figuratively let him in. Literally because that’s how sex works, and figuratively because for women, sex is mostly in our heads.”
Making your marriage relationship a priority is the best way you can stay emotionally connected for a lifetime. I hope these five ideas have given you something to think about and pray about today!
Click to Listen:
From Chaos to Calm: 15 Weeks to a Happy Home is a daily devotion – Monday through Friday for 15 Weeks by Melissa Ringstaff. The Audio Podcast gives you extra ideas to go along with the email series or e-book.
- Visit TheDating Divas for lots of great ideas for dating your husband!
- Read the book 31 Days to Great Sex by Shelia Wray Gregoire with your husband.
- Or, read the book The Good Girl’s Guide to Great Sex by the same author.
- What is Real Intimacy in Marriage?
Action Steps to Take Today
- Pray and ask God to bless your marriage relationship and to show you today how you can be a blessing to your husband.
- Commit to making your husband a priority instead of an afterthought.
- Ask your husband to tell you if there’s anything he wishes were better in your relationship.
- Download my free printable Bible Promises for a Happy Marriage below, if desired.
How do you show your husband you love him?
Free Printable Bible Verses for a Happy Marriage
How to Get the Printable
- Just fill out the form below and you’ll receive an email giving you instant access to this free printable.
- If you are already a subscriber, filling out the form won’t affect your subscription, but you will receive the link to get the printable!
- If you’re a member of the Homemaker’s Circle, this printable can be found inside of the membership! If not, you can join today for as little as $1.00 a week and get instant access to over $500 worth of digital products and homemaking classes including The Disciplined Homemaker and A Time to Clean!
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables