As busy moms and homemakers, mornings can feel stressful if we don’t have a good plan. It’s so important to be intentional with your time in the mornings! Today I’m sharing 7 tips for a less stressful morning that will help you start the day off right.
Mornings can be a little chaotic to say the least! In fact, in our house, with Hannah’s ice skating schedule, our mornings often begin with the alarm going off at 3:30 am – and that’s not just for me. Everyone has to get up and get going!
Getting kids organized and moving in the morning can be hard when everyone is tired and cranky. With a little preparation the night before – or even once a week – mornings can be painless!
7 Tips for a Less Stressful Morning
1. Prep lunches ahead. Either once a week or nightly while you whip up dinner prep packed lunches so they are ready to go in the morning. You can even store most lunches in the freezer all the way down to chips. The lunch will act as it’s own ice pack and you just have to grab and go in the morning.
2. Check for backpacks, shoes, and homework before bed. Without the stress of looking for these things in the morning things so so much smoother. Setting up a box in the bathroom with each person’s hygiene products, hair brush, and other needs is a great way to streamline morning hygiene rituals as well.
3. Create a command center. You know, a place for your keys, your calendar, to do lists, and other must haves to make your life easier when it’s time to get out the door. Everything should be visible with a quick glance so you know what you need to do each day.
4. Prep breakfasts the night before. While you’re prepping lunches you can get breakfast ready for the next morning as well. Most foods can be reheated in the morning for a hearty hot meal that you do not have to cook. Scrambled eggs, pancakes, and french toast all store and reheat well for busy mornings. You can even pack them in microwavable containers that children can reheat themselves as they come down for breakfast. This is a life saver!
5. Give your child a check list for the morning. For young kids a visual list is a great way to get them to complete routine tasks from brushing teeth to making their own bed. Keeping kids on task without yelling makes mornings more pleasant. Visual quest reduce fighting by allowing children to know what the need to do next without nagging.
6. Build routines for you and your family for bedtime. When children get enough sleep they are more likely to wake up and get moving without a fight. That extra few minutes to go in and out of sleep for a gentler wake up.
related: 8 Tips for a Less Stressful Bedtime
7. Start a bit early. Set an alarm for a bit before everyone HAS to get up – unless you’re getting up at 3:30 am like us! Don’t tell your kids you’re doing this. Just do it. By setting the alarm early you have time for them to resist and hit snooze.
Do you have any tips or tricks for a less stressful morning with kids? I’d love to hear them in the comments below!
- How to Create a Morning Routine that Works for You
- Routines vs. Schedules #ATimeToClean
- 10 Morning Hacks to Simplify Your Routine
Action Steps to Take Today
- Pray about your morning routine and ask God to help you be intentional with your time.
- Make a list of things you feel could be better about your morning routine and what the solutions might be.
- Think about what you can prepare before bed tonight and make a to do list.
- Go to bed early and set your alarm to allow plenty of time for your morning routine.
- Download my free printable, A Simple Morning Routine Guide below, if desired.
Free Printable Morning Routine Guide
How to Download
- Just fill out the form below and you’ll receive an email giving you instant access to my free guide: A Simple Morning Routine to Get Your Heart and Home in Order.
- If you are already a subscriber, filling out the form won’t affect your subscription, but you will receive the link to download!
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables
A Simple Morning Routine
Join A Virtuous Woman's community of over 21,000 women where you'll find freedom from perfection and the confidence to live your life with purpose. Get my FREE GUIDE: A Simple Morning Routine to get Your Heart and Home in Order!