Showing respect towards your husband is an essential aspect of building a healthy and happy marriage, but it’s not always easy. As a Proverbs 31 wife, the Bible offers guidance on how to be a good wife and honor your husband. In this blog post, we’ll explore how to show your husband respect, what the Bible says about being a good wife, and provide practical tips for how to show respect in your marriage.
Whether you’re newly married or have been married for many years, this post will provide valuable insight and guidance to help you build a strong and fulfilling relationship with your husband.
Be sure to download my free printable Bible Verses for a happy marriage at the end of the post!
Marriage is a beautiful and complex journey that requires dedication, hard work, and a deep commitment to love and respect. As a Christian wife, honoring and respecting your husband is not only a vital aspect of building a healthy and happy marriage but also a reflection of your faith and devotion to God.
However, as we all know, showing respect isn’t always easy, and it can be challenging to navigate difficult situations that arise in your marriage. It can be so easy to feel indignant and defensive in your marriage, but often those feelings are simply pride rearing its ugly head.
I remember one time (there’s been more than one haha) when my husband and I were having a heated argument, and I was getting increasingly frustrated with him. Later, I realized my words and tone had not only been hurtful but also disrespectful. I apologized and made a conscious effort to change the way I communicated with him in the future.
Did I suddenly respond perfectly every time I was frustrated? No, but over time and with a lot of prayer and practice, it’s gotten easier.
The Bible says, “Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” 1 Peter 3:4 NIV. This verse is one I often pray when I’m struggling with my attitude.
I started practicing active listening and tried to understand his perspective instead of just reacting out of my own emotions. My husband is pretty stubborn (but so I am) and I can get pretty frustrated with him as we disagree on things more often than I’d like, but I also realize how important it is to show him respect.
Respecting your husband is a crucial part of building a strong and healthy marriage, and it can have a transformative impact on your relationship and marital satisfaction. When you respect your husband, it communicates to him that you value him and his contributions to your marriage.
This, in turn, can help to foster a sense of mutual respect and trust, which are essential components of any successful relationship.
When you practice respect in your marriage, it can help create a more positive and loving environment, which can improve the overall emotional health of your relationship.
related: Anger and Emotional Abuse within Marriage
When conflicts do arise (and we know they will), a foundation of respect can provide a framework for resolving issues in a constructive way. By making a conscious effort to show respect towards your husband, you can help to heal past hurts and build a marriage that is rooted in love, trust, and mutual respect.
Mutual respect is a cornerstone of every healthy, happy relationship – including marriage. When both husbands and wives respect each other, they create a foundation of trust, understanding, and mutual support that can weather any challenge.
It involves listening to each other, valuing each other’s opinions and perspectives, and treating each other with kindness and compassion. It means acknowledging each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and working together as a team to achieve common goals.
Obviously, respect goes both ways and you can’t make your husband be more respectful if he has a habit of being disrespectful. However, you aren’t called to change your husband. You are called to be the wife God would have you to be. Work on being the best version of yourself you can be. Allow the Holy Spirit to guide you as you work on having a meek and quiet spirit which is pleasing to the Lord.
Pride can be a major obstacle in showing respect towards our husbands as Christian wives. Pride leads us to become so focused on ourselves and our own needs, that we fail to consider our spouses. This can lead us to become defensive, critical, or dismissive of our husbands’ opinions and needs, which can ultimately erode trust and intimacy in our relationships.
Dying to self, and overcoming pride, requires humility, patience, and a willingness to sacrifice our own interests for the sake of our relationships.
Practically speaking, dying to self may mean actively listening to your husband and seeking to understand his perspective, even if you disagree with him. Or it could mean prioritizing your husbands’ needs above your own sometimes.
Jesus said, “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13 ESV
Ultimately, dying to self is a continuous process that requires intentionality and practice. By seeking to cultivate humility and a servant’s heart towards our husbands, we can overcome pride and show the love and respect they deserve as our partners in marriage.
7 Ways to Show Respect Video
How to Show Your Husband Respect
Imagine your husband just came home from a long day at work, feeling tired and stressed out. Instead of immediately launching into your own concerns or complaints, take a moment to show your husband respect by acknowledging his hard work and effort (dying to self). Even if you are tired from taking care of your children and doing your daily chores, you can give your husband time to relax after he comes home from work.
You might say something like, “I know you’ve had a long day at work. I really appreciate all the effort you put into supporting our family. How can I help you relax?”
You may think this is an outdated idea, but when did being considerate and thoughtful go out of fashion? It really is possible to put others first and still be happy.
Other ways to show respect might include asking for your husband’s opinion on important decisions, acknowledging his expertise in certain areas, and making an effort to listen actively and respond thoughtfully to his concerns and needs.
Ultimately, the key to showing respect as a wife is to be intentional and proactive in your efforts. By making an effort to be kind, thoughtful, and appreciative towards your husband, you can build a strong and healthy marriage that honors God’s plan for your life.
Pay attention to your tone of voice, your motives, body language, and your attitude when you are communicating with your husband or even talking about your husband to friends and family. Show admiration for your husband in front of the kids. Showing your husband appreciate and respect in front of your kids not only blesses your husband, but it’s also healthy for your children to see these types of common courtesy displayed in your marriage. And don’t forget to give him compliments in front of friends and acquaintances! It’ll boost your own feelings of love for your husband more than you realize!
The Bible says that wives should submit and respect their husbands.
- Proverbs 31:10-31 – A virtuous wife who is hardworking, trustworthy, kind, and compassionate.
- Ephesians 5:22-24 – These verses instruct wives to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord, acknowledging their husband’s headship in the home.
- Colossians 3:18 – This verse calls wives to submit to their husbands in everything, as is fitting in the Lord.
- 1 Peter 3:1-6 – This passage instructs wives to respect their husbands and to cultivate inner beauty, rather than placing emphasis on external appearances.
Biblical submission is a difficult concept for a lot of women to understand but it’s key to a happy healthy marriage that models Jesus Christ. By embodying these qualities, wives can do their part to cultivate a healthy marriage that are grounded in mutual love, respect, and trust so you can live happy lives together.
7 Ways to Show Your Husband Respect
Show your husband respect, practice active listening, communicate with kindness and compassion, acknowledge his strengths and value his opinions, and prioritize his needs and well-being alongside your own.
#1 Honor your husband’s leadership
The Bible calls on wives to submit to their husbands and respect their role as the head of the household (Ephesians 5:22-24). This doesn’t mean that a wife should blindly obey her husband or forfeit her own opinions and desires. Instead, it means acknowledging and valuing her husband’s leadership and allowing him to take the lead in making important decisions.
#2 Speak kindly
Proverbs 31:26 reminds us to speak with kindness and wisdom. A Proverbs 31 woman has the law of kindness on her tongue. Negative words and criticism can erode your husband’s self-esteem and damage your relationship. Instead, choose your words carefully and communicate your thoughts and feelings in a constructive way.
#3 Show appreciation
A husband needs to feel valued and appreciated by his wife. Expressing gratitude for the things your husband does, whether big or small, can go a long way in making him feel respected and loved. A simple “thank you” or thoughtful can make a significant impact on your husband’s emotional well-being and the health of your relationship. And don’t ever discount the power of hugs and kisses to boost your mood – and your husbands!
#4 Encourage him
Offer words of encouragement and affirmation. Recognize his accomplishments and celebrate his successes. Everyone needs encouragement sometimes. Your husband is no different! The Bible reminds us in 1 Thessalonians 5:11 to “encourage one another and build each other up.”
#5 Don’t belittle him
Avoid making negative comments about your husband or belittling him in front of others. This can be damaging to his self-esteem and your marriage relationship. No one enjoys feeling belittled and disrespected, especially by someone they love and trust. Instead, try to focus on the positive aspects of your husband’s personality and behavior, and speak to him and about him with kindness and respect.
The Bible reminds us in Proverbs 15:1 that “a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Remember, your words have the power to build up or tear down your husband, so choose them wisely.
Articles you may find helpful:
If you are struggling with a critical spirit because of resentment, remember that everyone – including you – has shortcomings and is in need of grace.
#6 Pay Attention
Give your husband your full attention when he speaks to you and make eye contact. Everyone wants to feel heard and giving your husband your undivided attention is important sometimes. And when he asks you to do something, make his requests a priority.
#7 Choose to see the good
Choosing to see the good in your husband is an essential aspect of respecting him. No one is perfect, and it’s easy to focus on your husband’s faults and weaknesses. However, it’s important to recognize his positive qualities and strengths. Look for the good in your husband, and focus on those things. When you choose to see the good in your husband, you’re more likely to show him the respect he deserves. It can also improve your relationship and help you both feel more connected and appreciated.
Questions You May Have
Here are some frequently asked questions related to respecting your husband as a Christian wife:
- Is it biblical for a wife to show respect toward her husband? Yes, the Bible instructs wives to show respect towards their husbands in several passages, including Ephesians 5:33, which states, “However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.”
- What are some practical ways to show respect towards your husband? There are many ways to show respect towards your husband, such as listening to him attentively, speaking kindly to him, praising him for his efforts, and seeking his input on important decisions. Additionally, showing physical affection and demonstrating a willingness to compromise and work together can also communicate respect and love.
- What should I do if my husband is not showing me respect? Respect is a two-way street, and it’s essential that both partners in marriage show respect toward one another. If your husband is not showing you respect, it’s important to communicate your feelings and concerns in a calm and non-confrontational manner. Seek the guidance of a counselor who can help you work through any issues and find constructive solutions.
- Can showing respect towards my husband help to heal a troubled marriage? Yes, showing respect towards your husband can be a powerful tool for healing a troubled marriage. It communicates a willingness to work together and can help to break down barriers and rebuild trust. However, if your marriage is facing more significant issues such as infidelity or abuse, it’s important to seek professional help and support to navigate these challenges.
- How can I learn to be more respectful towards my husband if it doesn’t come naturally to me? Respect is a learned behavior, and it can take time and practice to develop. Some practical tips for learning to be more respectful include setting aside time to communicate regularly with your husband, listening with the goal of understanding, and seeking to understand his perspective. Additionally, seeking the guidance of a mentor or trusted counselor can help you to develop new skills and overcome any challenges you may be facing.
Action Steps to Take Today
- Pray. Take some time to pray for your spouse and your marriage, asking God for wisdom, guidance, and a spirit of love and respect.
- Download my free printable Bible verses for a Happy Marriage. Print them out and display them somewhere prominent in your home as a reminder of the importance of respect and love in your marriage.
- Practice active listening. The next time you have a conversation with your spouse, make a conscious effort to really listen to what they are saying and respond with empathy and understanding.
- Show appreciation. Take a moment to express gratitude and appreciation for something your spouse has done or a positive trait you admire in them.
- Avoid criticism or belittling. Focus on positive communication to build your husband up. Avoiding negative comments can go a long way in cultivating respect in your marriage.
What to Do If You Think You’re Being Abused
It’s important to remember that abuse is never justified or acceptable, and you have the right to seek safety and support. While it can be difficult to leave an abusive situation, there are resources available to help you break free and start a new, safe life. If you think you’re being abused, it’s important to seek help and support from a trusted friend, family member, or professional organization, such as a domestic violence hotline or shelter.
For help and assistance call the U.S. National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
As a Christian wife, showing respect towards your husband is an important aspect of building a strong and healthy marriage. It requires intentionality, patience, and a willingness to grow and learn together. No matter what challenges you may face in your marriage, God is always with you, offering guidance, comfort, and love. By putting your trust in Him and making an effort to strengthen your relationship, you can build a marriage that honors God and brings joy and fulfillment to both you and your husband.
What are some specific actions or habits that you have found to be effective in showing respect to your spouse? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
Free Printable Bible Verses for a Happy Marriage
How to Get the Printable
- Just fill out the form below and you’ll receive an email giving you instant access to this free printable.
- If you are already a subscriber, filling out the form won’t affect your subscription, but you will receive the link to get the printable!
- If you’re a member of the Homemaker’s Circle, this printable can be found inside of the membership! If not, you can join today for as little as $1.00 a week and get instant access to over $500 worth of digital products and homemaking classes including The Disciplined Homemaker and A Time to Clean!
Why should I subscribe?
- access to my subscriber exclusive resource library
- exclusive coupons and sales to my shop
- updates, challenges, freebies, and exclusive offers
- instant access to subscriber exclusive printables