It’s January 1 and I can hardly believe we’re beginning a new year. If you’re looking to set God-centered goals this year, you’re in the right place. Today I’m sharing my best tips on how to set God-centered goals for the new year.
We had such a wonderful holiday here at the Ringstaff house. So many good memories were made and I’m so thankful for the last two weeks. Having all of my kids come home for Christmas was such a blessing! It was hard for me to say good-bye to each one of them as them headed back to their homes. But having everyone here for the last ten days was such a joy and I’m so thankful!
Now that 2023 has come to an end and the holidays are over, I’m excited to get into the new year and pursue new goals as a homemaker, wife, and mother and I thought it would be good to talk about setting goals in the new year.
The beginning of a new year is always exciting to me. There are so many possibilities just waiting for us! As we step into the New Year, our hearts are filled with hope and the promise of new beginnings. It’s a time when many of us consider our hopes and dreams and set goals for the months ahead.
As Proverbs 31 women, we know our plans are more than just a list of resolutions; they are a reflection of our walk with God and His purpose for each one of us. We all know that New Year’s resolutions don’t really stick – so you may think there’s no point in setting new goals for the new year, but I think self-reflection and setting goals is always a worthy pursuit.
For me, the new year is full of anticipation. I look forward to putting the old behind me and starting fresh with new goals and new vision for the life I am striving to live.
“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.” Philippians 3:13
Setting God-Centered Goals
As we enter the new year, we’re presented with an ideal opportunity to reflect on God’s presence and actions in our lives, to offer praise for His blessings, and to establish goals that align with His will. The practice of setting intentional, God-focused objectives is a powerful way to ensure that our daily actions and long-term plans are not only aligned with our personal aspirations but are also deeply rooted in our faith, leading us towards a more purposeful and spiritually fulfilling life.
God-centered goals are goals that align with your faith and biblical values. They are rooted in your relationship with God and they reflect a desire to grow spiritually, to serve others, and to glorify God in all you do.
Colossians 3:23 says: “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
This verse reminds us that our efforts and ambitions should ultimately serve God, not just our own personal interests. When we set goals with this mindset, we’re not just thinking about what we want to accomplish, but also how these accomplishments align with God’s will and purpose for our lives.
5 Questions to Ask Yourself When Setting Goals
When setting God-centered goals, it’s important to ask questions that align your objectives with your faith and spiritual growth. Here are some key questions to consider:
- What Does God’s Word Say?
- How do my goals align with biblical teachings and principles?
- Are there specific scriptures that guide or inspire these goals?
- Where Is God Leading Me?
- What has my prayer and meditation revealed about God’s direction for my life?
- Are there areas where I feel particularly called or inspired by the Holy Spirit?
- How Do My Goals Reflect My Faith?
- In what ways do these goals help me grow spiritually?
- How do they reflect my trust and faith in God?
- How Will These Goals Serve Others?
- Do my goals include serving or helping others in my community or church?
- How do they contribute to the greater good and reflect Christian values of love and service?
- What Spiritual Growth Do I Hope to Achieve?
- How will achieving these goals help me grow in my relationship with God?
- What spiritual disciplines (like prayer, Bible study, worship) can be integrated into my goals?
Pray for Guidance
I encourage you to seek God out in prayer when you sit down to think about and plan your new goals for the year. Prayer really does make a difference! God wants to lead you in the right direction and communicating with Him and listening for His voice will help you have spiritual discernment.
I like to sit down with a notebook or planner and brainstorm ideas. This might include reflecting on the previous year. Consider what things went well and what things you want to work on in the coming weeks and months.
Here’s an example prayer you can pray:
Dear Heavenly Father,
As I enter this new year, I seek Your guidance for the new goals I am setting. Help me align them with Your will in order to honor You.
Lord, grant me the clarity to see the path You have laid out for me. Help me to balance my personal desires with my duties to family and community, making a positive impact wherever I may go.
Above all, Lord, I pray that in pursuing these goals in the coming year, that You will help me grow closer to You and glorify Your name. I pray that this year will be a testimony of Your grace and love.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Setting SMART Goals
Identify clear and attainable goals that resonate with your faith and personal aspirations. Begin by specifying what you want to achieve, ensuring each goal is grounded in your spiritual values.
Use the SMART criteria – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound – to structure these objectives.
For instance, instead of setting a vague goal like “read the Bible more,” opt for a more defined goal such as “read one chapter of the Bible every morning for the next month.”
This approach not only gives clarity but also makes it easier to track your progress and stay committed. Remember, the purpose of these goals is not just personal advancement but also spiritual growth and serving others in alignment with Christian principles.
Free Printable Intentional Year Planner
If you want to make your yearly planning simple and intentional, this free printable planner is for you! This year’s edition has space to plan out each month with a focus on one goal.
How to Download
Just click on the button below and you’ll be taken to the download page.
Action Steps to Take Today
- Begin with Prayer: Start your day with a moment of prayer. Seek God’s guidance and wisdom as you set out to define your goals.
- Reflect and Write: Spend some time in reflection. Write down your thoughts, insights, and any areas where you feel God is calling you to grow or contribute.
- Set Specific Goals: Based on your reflection, set specific and achievable goals. Remember to make them measurable and time-bound.
- Create a Plan: Develop a step-by-step plan to achieve these goals. Break down each goal into smaller, manageable tasks.